2. Identify at least three trends in nursing practice from the “Nursing Timeline of Historical Events” media piece.
3. How have these trends influenced your perspective of nursing practice?
4. Describe the definition of nursing as put forward by the American Nurses Association.
5. How does it address the metaparadigm theories of nursing?
6. The media, and Hollywood in particular, represent one avenue in which the general public becomes familiar with the role of nurses. How does the media positively or negatively influence the public’s image of nursing? What other avenues may better educate the general public on the role and scope of nursing as well as the changing health care system?
7. What factors need to be considered when determining whether or not identified actions are within the domain of nursing practice? Be sure to cite current literature in your response.
8. You have been asked to investigate a new procedure that physicians would like nurses to adopt in the hospital. Discuss the process you would apply to determine whether the procedure falls within the RN scope of practice and how you would go about introducing the new procedure with physicians and fellow nurses.
9. Outline the process for developing nursing standards of practice, and identify the different entities that might be involved in developing a standard of practice.
Comments or questions are welcome.