Access the Neighborhood website.
Read the following character scenarios and articles in the “Neighborhood News” for Season 3:
1. Click Season 3 from the Season menu at the top of the course home page.
2. Click on Young Household under the Households menu and read the following character scenarios:
• Angie Young (Episodes 5, 6, and 7)
• Marcus Young (Episodes 5, 6, and 7)
• Angie Young (Episodes 9, 10, and 11)
3. Click Neighborhood News under the Neighborhood Information menu and read the following article:
• “Bumping up safety” (Episode 11)
4. Click Young Household under the Households menu and read the following character scenario:
• Angie Young (Episode 13)
5. Click Neighborhood News under the Neighborhood Information menu and read the following article:
• “Safety crusader met with mixed reception” (Episode 13)
Prepare to participate in a small group discussion regarding these scenarios and the legislative processes related to public safety and public health.
Discuss the following questions:
• Do you think this scenario represents a public safety or public health issue?
• How does this scenario exemplify how the legislative process influences public health?
• Do you think that the Neighborhood Council should have acted in a different manner on this issue? Explain why or why not.
• What might Angie Young and proponents of the speed bumps have done differently to receive a more favorable response from the Neighborhood Council?
• What options for political influence might a person pursue in an effort to change public health policy?