Levendary Cafe: The China Challenge Case #4357-PDF-ENG
1. What is your evaluation of the way Levendary Cafe has entered the China market?
2. What changes (if any) should Mia Foster make? Specifically, what should she do about Louis Chen? And what changes (if any) would you propose at headquarters?
3. Prepare a specific action program for Foster to help her deal with the need for continued growth in China. What should be on the agenda for her meeting with Chen?
4. What does it take to succeed in the restaurant franchising business?
5. What implications does this have for the way Levendary should manage its international operations?
6. What do you think of Mia Foster’s ‘stages theory’ of country management responsibilities: go-getter, local baron, and professional manager?
7. To what extent could Levendary Cafe ‘front end’ controls in future international market entries, so that some of the problems it encountered with Louis Chen can be avoided?
8. From this analysis, what recommendations would you make to Mia Foster on the issues she raises at the end of the case?